International - How to Apply to SJCC!
No Application fee for the 2023-2024 Academic year!
Read step by steps instructions to apply to SJCC as an international student with an F-1 visa!
- International Student Application
- Official Transcripts: Detailed English translations of ALL secondary and post-secondary schools attended.
- Students under the age of 18 must show proof of high school graduation or the equivalent by the start of the semester applying.
- High schools student who will graduate before the start of the semester they are applying for may submit incomplete transcripts indicating when they will finish.
- Unofficial copies may be submitted for initial admissions review. Official copies will be required upon enrollment.
- Proof of English Language Proficiency - As demonstrated by ONE of the following:
- Examination: Scores must be sent directly by the testing agency
- Completion of Prerequisite Course for college-level English at a U.S. institution (As clearly shown on transcript).
- Participation in Partner English Language Program (link)
- You must contact the Language school of your choice and apply directly to their program.
- Please let us know when you are accepted and we may offer you conditional admission.
- Original Bank Certification Letter - indicating required funds in USD dated from within six months of the start of the
- For the 2023-24 Academic year the minimum required is $24,992 USD
- Fall semester applicants bank documents should be dated from February or later.
- Spring semester applicants bank documents should be dated from June or later.
- Financial Certification Form - Signed by applicant and guarantor(s) if applicable.
- The applicant (student) must complete and sign Section 1, 2, and 3.
- If the applicant will be under 18 on the first day of the semester the applicant's parent must complete Section 4.
- If the applicant has a Sponsor/Guarantor, the person must complete and sign Section 5.
- Passport Biographical Page or Passport size picture - Complete applications (all required documents have been submitted) will be reviewed
by the International Program admissions team. Admission decisions will be emailed
within two weeks during non-peak times of the year.
Admitted students will receive a letter of acceptance, Initial Status I-20, and other admission information.
F-1 Transfer students must be in good academic (2.0 GPA or higher) and in good immigration standing (non-terminated SEVIS record) at the previous school attended. If you are transferring from another school in the U.S. and already have an F-1 visa, you must complete the SEVIS Transfer Release Form provided in your admissions packet to transfer to SJCC.
- Complete Steps 1-6 from above in the International Student Application
In addition, please complete and submit the following:
- Copy of current Form I-20, F1 visa, passport biographical information page, and I-94 card. You can access your I-94 information on the official website.
- Statement of Purpose explaining why you wish to transfer SJCC and how it will help you achieve your educational and professional goals.
- Once accepted you must submit the SEVIS Transfer Release Form to your current institution to be completed and returned.
- Your SEVIS record must be transferred within 60 days of the program end date at your previous school and at least 15 days before the start date of your program at SJCC. If you plan to travel outside of the U.S. before beginning your program at SJCC, please contact us to obtain an I-20 for re-entry purposes. Do not use your previous school’s I-20 to re-enter the U.S.
Complete applications (all required documents have been submitted) will be reviewed by the International Program admissions team. Admission decisions will be emailed within two weeks during non-peak times of the year.
Admitted students will receive a letter of acceptance, Transfer Pending form I-20, and other admission information.
- Go to CCCApply and submit an application. Take note of your confirmation number.
- Obtain a permission letter from your current school’s International Program allowing you to take one or two courses at SJCC.
- Email permission letter and confirmation number from CCCApply (or SJCC student id number) to the Office of Admissions & Records at San José City College to obtain a student ID number at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are registering for a class that has a
prerequisite, complete this form: Prerequisite Clearance Form
Register for classes online at SSO. Watch this video to learn: How To Register For Classes (link)
SJCC does not have an ESL program that is eligible for the F-1 visa. International students who need to study English can start at one our of local language school partners where they will receive intensive English language instruction and are eligible for the F-1 visa.
The Online Jump-Start program allows students to take some SJCC online courses from their home country or outside the U.S. while waiting to apply for an F-1 student visa.
To apply students must complete the SJCC International Student Application
The application must include:
- Bank statement/letter showing funds to pay for the course(s) you wish to take
- Proof of English language proficiency.
Request more information
Submit this form to get more information about SJCC and to connect with an SJCC admissions