welcome to safe zone
San José City College is committed to offering equal opportunities and education for all students regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity. There are many resources available to you as listed below.
Awareness on Campus & in the Community
- Yearly program for National Coming Out Day
- Transgender Day of Remembrance
- Transgender Day of Visibility
- QSA (Queer/Straight Alliance)
- Outreach for LGBTQ+ students on campus
- Information for all campus members
- Safe Zone training online through Kognito, Inc.
- These trainings will be available through June 30, 2021: Building a More Inclusive Workplace; At-Risk; Veterans on Campus
- Please see instructions on how to complete training below!
- For more information and / or concerns, contact: Teresa Paiz, Safe Zone Coordinator, at: Teresa.Paiz@sjcc.edu
- Using a compatible and updated browser, such as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, go to: https://ccc.kognito.com/
- Create a new account by selecting 'Click here' in the top right corner of the email / password field
- Follow the prompts and select the "Faculty / Staff Member / Administrator POV (Point of View)
- Pull down the menu and choose "San José City College"
- Follow the on-screen instructions to access the simulations page
- Select a simulation tile and click 'Launch' to begin the simulation
- After you complete the course, you will receive a certificate
- Please alert the Safe Zone Coordinator for a Safe Zone placard and indicate if you want small or large
Technical Support is available
Go to: https://support.kognito.com/ for answers to commonly asked questions, including computer requirements and lost password help. It's recommended to check Kognito's system requirements first before implementing the program with a group of people.
Technical Support Team Email: Didn't find an answer to your question? You are welcome to email the Kognito's technical support team directly at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Local LGBTQ+ Groups & Organizations
Dedicated to creating a more equal future for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and questioning (LGBTQ+) community in Silicon Valley and communities nearby. Programs include healthcare support, speaker series, LGBTQ+ resources, volunteer opportunities, and more.Info@BAYMECfoundation.org | 408-391-2321
Containing local Santa Clara County queer information, with everything from politics and activism, Transgender Community, HIV/AIDS support and education, Latinx Community, LGBTQ+ in tech, Culture & Community, Gay Press, Crime, Sisterspirit, and much more. Underwritten by BAYMEC Community Foundation.Info@BAYMECfoundation.org | 408-391-2321
Connecting LGBTQ+ students with organizations and social events, as well as providing local support and resources. One Washington Square, Student Union, 1st Level, Room 1600, San José 95192 | 408-924-1000
Providing an array of support services and resources, including peer support groups for the Santa Clara County LGBTQ+ community, as well as well-being and suicide prevention resources, gender identity and sexual orientation training, family acceptance training and much more.
A list of San José area and beyond events, resources and support services for the LGBTQ+ community.
A political action committee (PAC) that advocates for civil rights of LGBTQ+ people in San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, and Monterey counties.
Providing LGBTQ+ families in the Bay Area and beyond unparalleled support, education, and advocacy.
Provides Drop-in Space and a variety of services for the entire Trans / Gender-Non-Conforming community.
@ the San Francisco Public Library
Documenting the Library's broader collections and additional resources on LGBTQ+ history and culture with an emphasis on the San Francisco Bay Area.100 Larkin St., San Francisco 94102 415-557-4400 | 415-557-4433 (TTY)