San Jose City College offers an Associate in Arts degree in Graphic Design, that features design principles and multimedia concepts as used in print media and digital media using industry standard design software and tools to produce contents for a Graphic Design Portfolio.
The Media Arts program is a unique, interdisciplinary approach to the converging fields of journalism, communication and new media technology. It responds to the need for people skilled in effective communications in all levels of society including industry, education, art and music, and the public arena.
The Associate in Arts (AA) in Media Arts provides a core foundation of media and visual literacy, a foundation of technical skills, and principles of design and information hierarchy, as well as specialization skill development in: Information gathering and reporting in journalistic formats, visual and photo journalism concepts and skills, and application of theory and skill to journalistic practice.
DEGREES & CERTIFICATES
This program features design principles and multimedia concepts as used in print media and digital media using industry standard design software and tools to produce contents for a Graphic Design Portfolio. The primary focus of this program is the integration and application of design styles and elements as per the current industry, and the application of design elements in real-life projects. This degree will prepare students for transfer to an institution that offers a similar pathway.
- AA in Graphic Design
User Experience & Interaction Design
In this program we approach UX and other forms of product design through a human-centered approach, placing users and their needs as the focus of the work. This includes everything from creating effective and enjoyable user experiences to ethical and safe interactions between the user research and the product. At the completion of the degree, students will have a UX Portfolio consisting of real-world designs, and course units that may transfer to a four-year program.
- AS in User Experience and Interaction Design
- Certificate in User Experience and Interaction Design
MOTION Graphic Design
The Motion Graphic Design Programs pair Graphic Design techniques with visual storytelling and animation to provide students with comprehensive workforce related skills in the Media Art industry. Motion Graphic Design provides high demand skills in corporate branding, social media, user experience, marketing, television, broadcasting and internet. Students enrolled in this program will have a well-rounded professional Motion Graphic Design portfolio and have necessary skill sets for workforce requirements.
Degrees offered: COMING UP IN FALL 2024!
- AS in Motion Graphic Design
- Certificate in Motion Graphic Design
- Apply an understanding of the components of graphic design and the principles of layout.
- Demonstrate visual communications skills on graphic design projects utilizing industry standard software and basic design techniques.
- Produce multimedia projects using images, videos, and animations through vector and raster-based software.
- Create accessible and well designed websites utilizing basic design principles, art fundamentals, as well as web design specific tools.
- Develop multimedia projects combining graphic design, motion design, visual storytelling, animation, effects, cinematic techniques and audio.
- Freelance or In-House Design
- Product and Package Design
- Multimedia and Broadcast Design
- Web Design
- UI/UX Design
- Storyboarding and Motion Design
- Video Editing
- Motion Graphics
SJCC ART COLLECTIVE
- CREATIVE ARTS CLUB FOR - DMA, ART, PHOTO, & CERAMICS.
- STUDENT OWNERSHIP.
- COLLABORATIVE SPACE FOR THE ART COMMUNITY FT. EVENTS, PROJECTS & CONTESTS.
- STUDENT MADE COMISSIONED ARTWORK.
- PAID WORK OPPORTUNITY WITH REAL CLIENTS.
- SELECTION BY PORTFOLIO. PROJECT SUPERVISED BY FACULTY.
INDUSTRY ADVISORY BOARD
- PANEL OF INDUSTRY PROS.
- REPRESENTING VARIOUS AREAS OF PRODUCTION SUCH AS GAMES, FILMS & UI/UX.
- ADVISE ON PROGRAMS AND CURRICULUM.
Sr. Division Admin | Humanities, Social Sciences, and Arts
HONORS COORDINATOR Contact
- Honors Coordinator
Digital Media Arts is a career focused discipline, and our faculty represent a great mix of industry expertise and traditional background. Below you will find the list of our esteemed faculty, along with their career highlights.
Jonali Bhattacharyya - Lead Faculty, Digital Media Arts
Carol Easter - Faculty, Digital Media Arts, & Arts
HEAR WHAT OUR STUDENTS HAVE TO SAY
I love being able to learn a new set of skills in a short amount of time with a DMA class, directly helping my career while I grow as a designer.
DMA allowed me to flex my creativity and learn life long skills beyond graphic design. The experience gained in Adobe Suite is invaluable.
Taking digital media arts has been fun and educational. The professors are patient with everyone, welcoming any skill level.
I was able to upskill my design abilities and network with other like minded individuals thanks to the supportive faculty and affordable courses.