Skip to main contentSkip to footer content

transfer to the

university of california 

Transfer Admission Planner:  

university of california transfer requirements


To successfully transfer into the UC System, there are certain academic standards you will need to meet.

While you will need to fulfill these requirements, they shouldn't be the starting point for most of your planning. Tailor your coursework to your major and the general education requirements of the campuses you hope to attend.


UC Transfer Requirements

As a junior-level transfer applicant, you must meet the following requirements. Some of your major preparation and general education coursework will count toward these requirements.

1. Complete the following 7-course pattern by the end of the Spring term prior to Fall enrollment at UC:

  • Two transferable courses in English composition;
  • One transferable course in mathematical concepts and quantitative reasoning;
  • Four transferable college courses are chosen from at least two of the following subject areas:
  • arts and humanities
  • social and behavioral sciences
  • physical and biological sciences

    For example:

    3 chemistry courses and 1 history course
    2 sociology courses, 1 physics course, and 1 art history course
    1 biology course and 3 literature courses

    Keep in mind:
  • Each course must be worth at least 3-semester units (or 4-5 quarter units) and be UC-transferable. Check to see what courses from your community college are transferable
  • You need to earn a grade of C or better in each course or a Pass (P) grade if pass is equivalent to a C (2.00)
  • You need to be in good academic standing (GPA 2.00 or above) at the last college/university you attended prior to enrolling at UC. 
  • AP exam scores of 3, 4, or 5 may also be used in appropriate subject areas (exception: only one of the two English courses required can be satisfied by an AP exam score)
  • All campuses recommend that you complete math and English as early as possible (some highly recommend completing them by the end of the fall term, one year prior to enrolling at UC)
  • If you've completed IGETC or campus-specific general education requirements, you may have already satisfied the 7-course pattern

2. Complete at least 60 semester (90 quarter) units of UC-transferable credit. No more than 14 semester (21 quarter) units of the 60 semester (90 quarter) units may be taken pass/fail or credit/no credit.

3. Earn at least a 2.4 GPA in UC-transferable courses (2.8 if you're a nonresident). Some majors require a higher GPA for admission selection.

4. Complete the required/recommended courses need for your intended major with the minimum grades. Visit to see the major preparation coursework expected by each campus or refer to UC's Transfer Pathways, a single set of courses you can take to prepare for your major on any of our nine undergraduate campuses. 

Find the University of California Transfer Admissions Guide here

We also recommend getting in touch with the university admissions representative for the UC(s) you are interested in to ensure the information you have for your major and that campus is accurate.

Create a UC TAP Account to help you navigate your admissions 

UC Transfer Planner (TAP) Link