Esthetics Program Overview
The Esthetics staff at San José City College are some of the most passionate and well-trained staff in the nation.
In addition to weekly classes, many full-time instructors have private practice. Students can enroll in the program either for the fall or the spring semester. Most students complete the program in two full semesters with an optional summer session.
The Esthetics Program is a full-time program. Because SJCC is a community college funded by the state, we can provide this comprehensive education at a fraction of the cost of private schools. Students pay $46 per unit.
Students enrolled in the SJCC Esthetics Program have the opportunity to receive instruction in the areas of waxing, facials, back treatments, and makeup skills. After completing the program, students can earn a Certificate of Achievement.
In addition, SJCC graduates acquire the necessary skills and knowledge to pass the California State Board of Barbering and Cosmetology exam. To be eligible for the State license, students must complete 600 clock hours in an educational institution approved by the Bureau of Barbering and Cosmetology.
- Esthetics Staff Assistant III
- Louise Just
- 408-298-2181 ext 3812
- Yelena Lipilina
2100 Moorpark Avenue
Secpond Floor, Room C202
San José, California 95128
When visiting the School of Cosmetology, you can park in Lot "H." If you have any questions about the programs, please enter through the main double doors and go to the front desk on the second floor
Information & Enrollment
- All students need to be 18 of age prior taking State board.
- We do require 10th grade level or equivalent education to be consider for this program.
Steps to apply:
- Complete and submit program application to the Esthetics Program. This is separate from the general SJCC application for admission.
- Due to high demand for the program, the Esthetics Program maintain a waitlist of students who are interested in enroll into the program. You must fill out and submit to the Esthetics Program.
- Complete application can be emailed or mailed to:
To schedule a tour before enrolling in the program, please get in touch with the front desk at 408-288-3766 and make an appointment.
Applications for the Fall semester are processed in April and the Spring semester in October. Eligible applicants will receive an email with instructions and a deadline for their intent to enroll. Please make sure to update any changes to your phone, email, or address in the program.
- High School Diploma
- General Education Degree (GED)
- High School Proficiency Certificate
- Admissions and Records Office 408-288-3700
- Counseling 480-288-375
- Assessment (Placement Test) 408-288-3170
- Financial Aid 408-288-3741
You will be notified by email about our mandatory Open House.
Common Challenges for students
- Students who are not truly passionate about a career in esthetics may find the academic commitment challenging.
- This is a full-time course for serious students with homework, projects, presentations, mid-terms and final exam.
- Students are only allow 3 absences of any kind, including illness per semester.
The Esthetic Program is an intense full-time program with a fast-moving curriculum that requires considerable student commitment. Consider your personal and work schedule before applying to the program.