Online Learning & Resources
Are you always on the run?
Busy with work, life, and family?
Not sure if you have time for school?
You can still go to college!
There are many ways to take classes at San José City College. Online learning may be right for you. A computer or tablet and you’re on your way! There are two kinds of online courses:
- Online classes are taught completely online.
- Hybrid classes are taught partly in the classroom and partly online.
Check our class schedule for our online classes.
ONLINE ORIENTATION IS ALSO AVAILABLE.
Online and Hybrid Classes, also known as Distance Learning, are not for everyone. To help you decide whether distance learning is right for you, you can take this Self-Assessment Quiz:
Distance Learning can provide an excellent way to achieve your educational goals, especially if you need a more flexible schedule or are unable to come to campus. But you should be aware that:
- Online courses require as much time and commitment as traditional classroom-based
- Most of your communication with your instructor and with other students will be in writing (in the form of email, discussion forums, chat rooms, blogs, wikis, or other online communication methods through Moodle or Canvas).
All classes use an online learning management system (LMS) called Canvas.
To get to your courses on Canvas, go to: https://sjcc.instructure.com/login/canvas.
To get Canvas technical support, go to: http://www.sjeccd.edu/district-services/ITSS/canvas.
Self Service allows all current students to register, pay fees, and purchase parking permits, view class schedule, grades, GPA, transcripts of all records in this district and more.
Online Support Services at SJCC
Canvas & MyWeb support
For assistance with Moodle or MyWeb please contact the help desk:
Canvas support during ALL non-ITSS Hours:
Student Office 365 Login
For students with Office 365 webmail accounts, please follow the instructions below:
- Navigate to the following site http://outlook.com/sjcc.edu
- On the “Sign In” page enter your user name (your MyWeb login) in the following format: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Enter your password - The initial password is password with a capital “P” and your six digit date of birth ex. If your date of birth is 06/25/95 your initial password will be Password062595
If you need further help please contact the helpdesk at (408) 270-6411
Other Online Resources
- Campus Store is the place to purchase textbooks, bus passes, texting materials, gifts, clothing, greeting cards, snacks, beverages and a variety of school and office supplies.
- SJCC Library Databases - Access journal, magazine, and newspaper articles online.
- Library Catalog - The library is a great resource for you to complete your assignments and access online materials.
- Research Aids - Additional research aids provided by the SJCC Library
- The OWL at Purdue - This Online Writing Lab at Purdue University provides useful writing resources.