Family and Consumer Studies
Welcome to Family and Consumer Studies
As a family and consumer sciences student you will study how the relationships between individuals, families, communities, and environments influence or effect individual development in a variety of ways.
FCS was formerly known as “home economics” but the name changed in the early 1990s to provide a more accurate depiction of the fact that FCS professionals study a broad range of issues surrounding individuals, families, and communities, rather than a sole focus on education related to managing the home or homemaking skills. At San Jose City College, FCS is offered closely with the Early Childhood Education (ECE) program.
FAMILY AND CONSUMER SCIENCES COURSES
- FCS 019-Nutrition
- FCS 070-Child Development
Family and Consumer Sciences Student Learning Outcomes
- Analyze current requirements and standards for early childhood educators and early care and education programs.
- Design daily schedules and classroom interactions with children consistent with current knowledge of child development.
- Document and assess the needs of individual children in early care and education settings.
- Plan and implement classroom based activities consistent with a developmentally appropriate curriculum.
- Communicate effectively with children, parents and coworkers verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrate knowledge of professional and ethical standards required to function successfully in early care and education programs.