Facilities and Operations
we're here to help you!
The Facilities Department ensures a safe, effective and inspiring physical environment that supports and enhances teaching and learning at San Jose City College. We provide quality, professional and responsive custodial and grounds services to the college and visitors.
To submit a work order for Custodial or Grounds CLICK HERE
What Do Custodians Do?
San Jose City College Custodians clean over 500,000 square feet of space each day. This includes classrooms, offices, restrooms, laboratories, stairways, corridors, gymnasium, locker rooms, and common areas.
- Assist in emergency response (power outages, floods, etc.)
- Move furniture and equipment
- Set up facilities for non-classroom activities that enrich the college experience for our students, including student activities, board meetings, career fairs.
- Set up and provide support for outside organizations who rent our facilities
- Act as campus "ambassadors,” pointing lost students and teachers in the direction of their classrooms during those first weeks of every semester
What Do Groundskeepers Do?
- Our Grounds staff is responsible for planned improvements and routine maintenance of outdoor spaces including pruning, fertilizing, mowing, cleaning and keeping the grounds free of litter and graffiti.
- Groundskeepers specialize in irrigation, chemical applications and tree maintenance. They take pride in tending the highly manicured lawns, perennial plantings and color variations that accent the campus creating a pleasing and safe environment.
- Our Grounds team takes care of:
- 60 acres
- 13 parking lots, 2,005 parking spaces
- Three sports fields
- Landscaped acres
- Landscaped islands with concrete curbs
- Hundreds of trees and bushes
- 250 garbage cans
- Five entrance gates
- Benches and picnic tables
- Set up and support for outside organizations who rent our facilities
- Serving as "ambassadors" pointing lost students and teachers in the direction of their classrooms during those first weeks of every semester
- Pest management
- Street sweeping
- Lawn maintenance
- Tree and shrub maintenance
- Plant and flower bed maintenance
San José City College custodians and groundskeepers work hard everyday to make sure our campus is safe, clean, and beautiful
Garbage cans emptied every day.
Parking lots, Including 2,005 parking spaces maintained by grounds crew.
SQ. FT cleaned by custodians classrooms, offices, restrooms, laboratories, stairways, corridors, gymnasium, locker rooms, and common areas..
OFFICE HOURS M-F 7:30 AM TO 5:30 PM